Wednesday, October 3, 2007

What's up, Doc?

I love Bugs Bunny. Bugs Bunny was based on Groucho Marx, someone else I love. My favorite joke is irreverent-while-intelligent. Wordplay humor rules.

Do you have a Humor Folder? I do. I dip into it occasionally and rediscover a delightful pun, a that-is-so-true comic strip, some delightful quotes concerning humanity and its many foibles. My Humor Folder includes things I've overheard on buses or in the library, things that were too funny to go unrecorded. It contains limericks, polite ones mostly.

Humor is my lifeline. When I need a break, I turn to the Marx Brothers, Mel Brooks, Tom Lehrer, Dick and Tommy Smothers. I seek out Mark Russell, Victor Borge, and P.D.Q Bach (courtesy of Peter Schickele). They make my day. While I deplore his 'effing' usage, I think Eddie Izzard is one of the funniest men on the planet. Cake or Death? P.G. Wodehouse is a must-read. And A.J. Jacob's The Know-It-All is one of my most passionate "You've got to read this!" books - you wouldn't find it in the Humor section of the bookstore, but this journal of his quest to read the entire Encyclopedia Britannica has many fine and funny moments.

I'm not impressed by humor for humor's sake. I prefer some brainpower behind it. Slapstick leaves me cold. The Three Stooges? Oh, please. I know some would argue that there was a lot of thought invested in those routines, but I believe most of the thought revolved around choreographing eye pokes. (If you're a fan of the Stooges...well...feel free to leave a comment!)

All that to say, this blog will be minor ramblings about the things that make me chuckle. Things that make me laugh out loud. Even things that make me laugh so unexpectedly that my 7-Up snorts out of my nose. Mind you, that rarely happens. My responses tend to be on the reserved side. Personally, I'm not much of a comedian, although I thoroughly enjoy messing about with words.

Anyway, as I was saying, humor. I love it. Stay tuned.

8 comments:

Bob Christensen said...

I saw a quote from Tom Lehrer the other day that i loved:

"I wish people who have trouble communicating would just shut up."

SueB said...

Gonna book mark or tag or whatever it is we are about to learn, cause you always keep me smiling.

O frabjous day!

Kim Doyle said...

Have you seen the Fry & Laurie BBC series Jeeves & Wooster? Great interpretation of Wodehouse. "A plate of well-kicked sandwiches."

slee said...

That is the best interpretation ever! Wodehouse is one of the authors who cause the 7-up through the nose reaction. One of my favorite lines: "He would have danced with impatience had he only known the steps."

Robert said...

One of the most popular blogs on wordpress is "i can has cheezburger" (http://icanhascheezburger.com/). You don't have to be a cat lover to smile at these photos.

a favorite said...

have you tried reading t. h. white?

"i always say that stupidity is the sin against the holy ghost."

(from 'the once and future king')

P. Somerville said...

Boy, your mention of the Smothers Brothers is sure a "blast from the past" for me. I remember I was in high school when I first heard their routine "Chocolate". I actually don't know if that's the correct title but it had to do with Tom deciding for his own inimitable reasons that yelling Chocolate! made more sense than yelling Fire! I don't remember the details of it but at the time I thought it was just about the funniest thing I'd ever heard. Since I haven't heard it in a long time, perhaps it wouldn't be now but, if so, I guess I don't want to know that.

11 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.