Wednesday, August 11, 2010

WLA conference, day one: Getting There, continued

After doing a quick internal debrief of my entertaining taxi ride, I headed into the Victoria Clipper terminal. I'd never been on the Clipper but had heard it was a relaxing way to travel to Victoria, with friendly staff and beautiful scenery. The staff certainly lived up to the glowing reviews. Calm reigned, despite the masses of people confirming reservations and checking luggage. I surrendered to the luxury of checking one of my bags, then moved on to the waiting area.

The young woman checking boarding passes asked if I'd like to pre-board, an offer most likely prompted by my cane. You bet I would! My remaining bag was a little awkward and I had planned to board last to avoid being a nuisance (I hate the feeling that people are impeded by me when I'm slowed down by something.) The pre-board offer was too good to pass up.

I enjoyed the trip and would recommend the Clipper to everyone. The only thing that was less than perfect was something beyond the crew's control - we were in heavy fog until the final ten minutes of our trip. No scenery for us! Ah well.

The best part of the journey was listening to snippets of other people's conversations. One couple was especially interesting. They were doing a crossword puzzle together to pass the time and were pondering some of the clues aloud. Two snippets that I had to capture in my notebook:

"The clue is 'member of the carrot family', with five letters. Would that be 'onion'?"

"Ok, the next one is 'goes by quickly', six letters starting with 's'. . . (pause) . . . I bet it's 'summer'." (I desperately wanted to suggest 'speeds'.)

- - - - - - -

It's early evening. I've covered a two-hour shift at the registration table, an assignment that gave me the chance to find other attendees from KRL. Now I am about to prepare the SAM table for the Meet And Greet. SAM, in case you don't know, is the interest group for Supervisors, Administrators, and Managers. It's not all that exciting as interest groups go, especially if you compare us to an IG like CAYAS - Children and Young Adult Services (CAYAS is pronounced 'chaos'.) CAYAS is a total hoot of an IG. But SAM can hold its own at the Meet And Greet. It should be a fine evening.

Overheard on Twitter: Hear me out: a bike, but instead of bike wheels, it has ROLLERBLADES. One boot in the front, one boot in the back.

Next time: day two of the conference. Stay tuned.


1 comment:

Thaydra said...

Definately a Washingtonian to suggest Summer! It is definatley fleeting out here! Beautiful this weekend, though!

I have heard great things about the clipper. I am going to have to find a reason to take it one of these days!

Enjoy the conference!!