Monday, September 2, 2013

Well, hello.

It's been awhile, a state that's become typical. It's been a challenging year, with writing near the bottom of the Priorities List. Let's see if I get better at blogging in the last quarter of 2013.

I'm participating in a Goodreads challenge. The idea is to decide how many books I want to read this year and posting that number on the challenge page. My challenge is "60 books in 2013." I added a personal sub-challenge, unposted: include books that other Goodreads folk have liked. It's too easy to stick with my favorite genre and I wanted to branch out a bit. I've read titles from Young Adult fiction lists, explored a bit of steampunk, and wandered far and wide via book reviews. I've also developed an Author Crush on Ernest Hemmingway while reading A Moveable Feast.

The range of non-fiction titles reflects the difficulties this year has brought. I'm revisiting Chesterton, his Father Brown mysteries to balance Orthodoxy (a book I read when I was much too young to really get it.) Thomas Merton's Seeds of Contemplation. Books on coping skills and mental disorders as I learn as much as I can in order to be useful to someone going through a rough time. Humorous books, of course, to help me laugh (or at least chuckle) when things seem bleak.

"Beautiful Battlefields" by Bo Stern is one of my current titles and I read something in it today that spoke directly to our situation. Perhaps 'speak' isn't quite right. It was louder than that, a Pay Attention that rang true. I'm sharing it here, mostly for myself, so I can find it again after I return the book to the library.

"The God who knows the whole story can be trusted with all the days that fill its pages, but it's always tempting to pick up the pen ourselves. When it seems like the plotline is spinning out of control or when the hero is taking too long to arrive on the scene, I want to take over. I want to make my own happy ending, or at least take a sneak peek at the postbattle pages so that I know everything will turn out okay if I trust Him with my life. I'm finding, though, that He is a page-by-page, line-by-line God. He shows up in every word, in every syllable, and He proves Himself trustworthy every time. . ."

Shall I finish up with something more to the point of this blog? How about this gentle Father's Day rap, Dad's Life?

Overheard on Twitter:  I wonder if Vegas is taking bets on who dies in Downton Abbey season 4?

Until next time. . . (by the way, I reached my Goodreads goal by June. Kind of surprised me.)

No comments: