Friday, October 26, 2007

The Joy of RSS

So. I've used RSS vicariously, via my college-age kids and their MacBooks. Today I became an active participant and it couldn't have happened at a better time. I'm having an awful lot of fun reading some blogs and I don't want to miss anything!

It was quite a challenge to pick only two out of that long list of terrific staff blogs, but I finally did it. The first blog I subscribed to is Am Engaged Trying Not To Be Endangered. Are you seeking inspiration, krl2.0'ers? Could you use a smile? This may be the blog for you.

Next up is Shirlee's Weblog. Shirlee is one of the main members of the krl2.0 team and she's awesome at explaining things!

** update alert. I must add Bell Book and Blogzilla to this RSS list. The writing is wonderful and the lastest book review has sent me off to place a hold. Wow!

If you are a grammar fiend, you might enjoy The "Blog" of "Unnecessary" Quotation Marks. Have you ever encountered a sign that seems to be saying something other than what was intended? This blog is updated regularly with photos of grammatically-challenged signs. The comments are priceless. One photo is of a For Sale sign - every 0 and O has a slash through it as if all were numeric. One of the comments had me rolling: A mØØse Ønce bit my sister. I love cultural references! (In case that's not familiar, it's from the opening subtitles in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. No, realli.)

My final blog subscription is for Mustaches of the Nineteenth Century. Um, see, my family collects beards. Not beards per se, just notable beards that we happen upon. Sometimes they're in old magazines or on postcards. Sometimes one actually walks by. One of our favorite beards belongs to a member of the Seattle Symphony. How does he avoid entangling his amazing beard in the violin strings?? Anyway, Mustaches of the Nineteenth Century posts old photos of mustached people and provides tongue-in-cheek 'academic' commentary, naming each mustache style. This blog was a happy discovery! It just goes to show there is something for everyone on the the Internet.

Coming up: Play/Catch Up week, so who knows? Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Kim Doyle said...

The blog of Unnecessary Quotation Marks was "fun."