Thursday, October 25, 2007

yum...del.icio.us...

So, all you krl2.0'ers, have you set up your del.icio.us account yet? If you haven't, don't fret. There is time enough for all things.

I'm having some fun with my del.icio.us account. Folksonomies have had my attention for nearly two years but this is the first time I've participated in them. My biggest challenge is thinking of tag words. It's helpful to have those "suggested tags" and I really appreciate seeing the tags other folk have used.

One of my tagged URLs is a website offering Jean Shepherd mp3 downloads. Who is Jean Shepherd? A delightful author who wrote about his Depression-era midwest childhood. I'll bet you've heard him without knowing it. Have you ever seen A Christmas Story? The narrator is Jean Shepherd, and the film is based on several chapters of In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash. He writes just the way he sounds in that film. I frequently gift this book. You may especially enjoy reading it if you're familiar with the middle-American culture of the 1930s and 1940s.

I also added a site that is nothing but Mark Twain quotes. Again, a beloved author although I'm not that fond of his 'classics'. Once through Tom Sawyer was sufficient for me. However, The Innocents Abroad is one of my must-read-again books. I can't do justice to it, so I'm going to crib shamelessly from a website, The Innocents Abroad:

"The Innocents Abroad; or, The New Pilgrim's Progress (1869). The second book by Mark Twain, this was a great popular success. Within its first year it sold over 70,000 copies, and it remained the best-selling of his books throughout his lifetime. The book began as a series of travel letters written mainly for the Alta California, a San Francisco paper that sponsored MT's participation in the Quaker City trip to Europe and the Holy Land in 1867. Revising the letters into a book was suggested by Elisha Bliss, who published Innocents as a subscription book on July 20th, 1869."

His acerbic (sometimes affectionate) observations regarding his fellow travelers and his encounters with foreign cultures never grow stale.

Hmm. I have wandered from the point of this post. Del.icio.us! May you enjoy your experience with it.