Thursday, June 5, 2008

Time Marches On

It's a dangerous thing to let so much time slip by between posts - there are now far too many things to blog about.  This is probably why I have never been much of a diarist, even as a teen; it was too daunting to try to write about everything that happened.  I'm not sure why I thought I had to write about everything. Perhaps I felt I had to live up to the standard set by Anne Frank, or Samuel Pepys (whose diary I discovered in 6th grade, and whose name I blithely mispronounced until someone set me straight in my mid-thirties.)

Over the course of the last month, I could have blogged at length about fresh YouTube discoveries, peculiar and fascinating books discovered in KRL's collection, and The Spelling Bee.  There were missed opportunities to natter about Neville's newest quirks.  (Natter.  I use that word often enough in the branch that others are beginning to use it too.)   A discussion about terrible puns was certainly blog-fodder, as was one of those notorious forwarded emails that turned out to be really funny.

So, what to do?

Highlights, that's what, a nice breezy run through some of the funny things in my month, in no particular order:

* Lauri alerted me to a book at the Manchester Branch, Scouts In Bondage, and Other Violations of Literary Propriety, a humorous look at book covers from long ago.  Some titles were innocent enough in their time but have become a little eyebrow-raising in today's vernacular.  Some are included because the author's name suits the title to an unfortunate degree.  However, one book's inclusion has me puzzled - I can't figure out why it violates literary propriety.  This is probably just as well.  No doubt something on that cover is yet another (happily unknown to me) euphemism for a Naughty Bit.

* As an inveterate fan of YouTube, I am compelled to share a discovery.  Elevator, by Runaway Box, is a weekly YouTube series.  Each episode is one-to-two minutes long and always takes place in The Elevator.  Here is one of my favorites, Bluetooth Assault, first in a three-part Bluetooth run.

* Chess nuts boasting in an open foyer, the punchline for a two-paragraph joke that I don't want to type out.  Sorry!  If you want the two paragraphs, let me know.

* Neville.  Previously-numb parts of my hand, including my little finger, are starting to wake up.  This is a good news/bad news kind of thing.  The good news - it means Neville is continuing to heal. The bad news - that part of my hand is hyper-sensitive.  When I put my hand on something that is slightly-less-than-room-temperature, like the page of a book, most of my hand doesn't notice anything but that little finger thinks it's resting on an ice cube and sends a frantic "Get me out of here!" message to the brain.

And that's that.

Next time:  the Spelling Bee.  Perhaps.  Stay tuned.

No comments: