Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Weather Report

November was a busy month - lots of shift-coverage at the branch, removal of two screws from my arm, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving, family home from college. . .wow.

Now we're rollicking into December. I've been practicing Christmas and Holiday music for a couple of months, preparing for events and performances. I love the medieval tunes, especially Personent Hodie, because they're so suitable for harp and dulcimer. Every year, I must hum them over and over to get them lodged in my head. Once they're in, I can play them. If I play something incorrectly, the incorrect hammering pattern goes right to my brain and I have to dislodge it by playing it correctly. It's not good to be nearby when that happens because you will hear those difficult bars played again and again and again (accompanied by dismayed exclamations) until I get it right. It's a mystery to me why the wrong thing sticks immediately while the correct pattern needs all that repetition.

I'm not skilled at reading music. Instead, I listen repeatedly to a recording to learn the tune. Most of the music is in my iTunes library, which is handy but also distracting. There are all kinds of things in my Medieval folder, not just Christmas, and I get sidetracked into listening to some of them. Weather Report, performed by The Mastersingers, is one of my favorites. This is in my Medieval folder because it's done in Gregorian Chant. I'll finish this post with the "lyrics", an actual United Kingdom weather report from the 1960s. (The only non-report line is the final one.) You can read along as they sing, if you open this blog in another tab before clicking on the title to listen to the mp3.


Good morning, here is the weather forecast for today until midnight. First the general situation. A ridge of high pressure over the Azores is moving slowly northeast and will begin to affect southwestern districts of the British Isles by late evening.

The cold front now affecting southeast districts will gradually move north. Fog has developed overnight in much of England and parts of Wales. In some districts it is rather dense. This will lift and clear by mid-morning almost everywhere and the rest of the day will be fine with unbroken sunshine.

And now, here is the Shipping forecast for the next twenty-four hours: Viking, Forties, Cromarty, Forth, Tyne, Dogger, Fisher, German Bight, Humber, Thames, Dover, White, Portland, Plymouth, Biscay, Finistere, Sole, Lundy, Fastnet, Irish Sea, Shannon, Rockall, Malin, Hebrides, Bailey, Fair Isle, Faeroes, South East Iceland will continue to be affected by weather for several days.

Now the outlook for Wednesday and Thursday. There will be drizzle in the south and periods of continuous rain are expected later, interspersed with scattered showers.

Northern England, Northern Ireland, and Southern Scotland will have occasional thunder. Temperatures will fall during the night and there may be local showers of sleet or snow.

Over central Scotland, temperatures will fall rapidly at dusk, giving rise to hail and freezing fog. Heavy snowfalls are expected in the north of Scotland and gale force winds are likely to cause extensive drifting.

In the extreme north of Scotland, a warm air stream will bring torrential rain and widespread flooding.

In brief, the weather will be normal for the time of year.


Wasn't that fun? Stay tuned.

No comments: