Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Blog


This blog was started as part of a Web 2.0 training. It couldn't have happened at a better time because I broke my arm six weeks into the program. krl2.0 gave me something to do - I passed the time with the weekly assignments (typing one-handedly) and reading other staff blogs. As a soft-core geek, I enjoyed having the time to explore the Internet. All the technology stuff helped take my mind off of my arm and my highly-annoyed ulnar nerve. Best of all, I discovered that I liked blogging. Until krl2.0, most of my writing tended toward the instructional or technical, something I do well; blogging gave me a chance to write what I felt like writing. It didn't matter if anyone read it. It was simply fun to do.

And here I am, nearly two years later.

Humor is still my blog focus because I believe laughter is a major component in maintaining emotional health. Even a small chuckle does wonderful things. As a child, I spent weeks, sometimes months in a pediatric ward due to a congenital hip defect, receiving experimental orthopedic surgery. I learned very early on that finding the humor in difficult things helped a lot. All I had to do was keep my eyes open and watch people, especially the nurses. One of the orderlies made a point of visiting me whenever he was in my area - he would come into my room and tell me a joke, and I would tell one back: What was Snow White's sister's name? Egg White. Get the yolk? Hospitals are huge when it comes to funny stories, probably because the human condition is so in-your-face there.

The best humor often comes from the collision between human nature and a challenging situation. The humor doesn't override what's happening. It just helps with perspective, sometimes long after the situation has passed. I was my mom-in-law's primary caregiver during her last months on hospice care. There were some truly wretched days as she lived with unimaginable pain from bone cancer. (Praise God for morphine pumps.) Did we laugh a lot together? Absolutely. For one thing, the morphine was good for a lot of laughs as she adjusted to the drug's effect. And she told me more about her life than I might otherwise have heard, since we had all the time in the world to sit and talk. As a retired nurse, she had a wealth of humorous reminiscences. (See "Hospitals" above.)

We watched a documentary this weekend about the Laughing Clubs in India. I would love to start one in Kitsap County. There are Laughing Clubs in Seattle but they are inconveniently located in...well, Seattle.

It's time to end this and get ready for another day at the library. May your days be sprinkled with laughter.

Overheard on Twitter: Why was the robber in the garbage? Because he was rotten! #mydaughtersfirstjoke.

Next time: GrammarGirl. Possibly. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

~Linds~ said...

"The best humor often comes from the collision between human nature and a challenging situation."

- I love this! I'm so glad that I'm in your first postcrossing group! I'll be keeping an eye out for your postcard! I've started a really fun postcard scrapbook for my coffeetable. I can't wait to share photos with you and maybe give you another idea!

Thanks again for stopping by my blog! Thanks for reminding me that HUMOR needs to be part of my day. I have a stressful job and need more HUMOR!

Thanks again!
Lindsay
www.passengerseatkindofgirl.com