Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Wandering the Web


Ken is taking prerequisite classes for O.C.'s nursing program, hoping to be accepted next fall. Entry into the program has always been competitive, but it's even more so now that the economy has prompted people to review their employability. Many, like Ken, have assessed their employment future and found it to be a little thin.

His current class is algebra. He joked, the first week, that he hadn't cracked an algebra book since the Nixon administration. Ken is a good mathematician with the daily stuff, but this class is an epic challenge. He spends most of his at-home time working on it at the kitchen table.

My computer time usually involves visiting favorite blogs, working on Etsy, and writing. (I'm fickle when it comes to facebook, ignoring it for days, then dropping in with a flurry of activity.) I try to structure my time online and I am pretty good at it. But, yesterday, a pending algebra test changed everything. Ken needed total quiet while he studied. Alas, I was in the house.

So, I exiled myself to the guest room and quietly surfed the 'Net, in the true sense of the term. No structure. Just wandering about.

I found an entertaining article from 2008 about a European conference on Web 2.0 (held in France), entertaining because the conference organizers had forbidden all access to technology at the conference site. The columnist pilloried the event in true Brit style, wry and disgusted and funny. He insulted Americans, too, near the end. Equal opportunity derision.

I found a photo of two homes decorated for Christmas.

I found pumpkins carved in astonishing ways.

I found a website that posts photos of inventive repairs. Clearly, there are some creative minds out there. Creative minds who are also cheap.

I found a blog about inchies, little bits of collaged art. I am in awe of those who create collage. It takes an expert eye to balance color, image, and texture. My early attempts at collage were Not Good but the inchies blog has inspired me to try again; the size of the collage might have something to do with it.

Those are just a few of the engaging things I discovered. I wouldn't say that my time online was, hm, well spent. There were productive things I could have done but it would have meant entering The Study Zone. I whole-heartedly support Ken in his study needs and if it means I must occasionally waste a day, so be it.

At the very least, after my computer time, I had a grand excuse to simply read a book. In the back bedroom. With the door closed.

Overheard on Twitter (from a Brit that I follow): My uncle coerced my gran into writing names on backs of family photos; if it was of her, she wrote "Me".

Next time: the vagaries of life with a 51-year-old who has returned to college. Stay tuned.

No comments: