Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Turn, turn, turn


Autumn has arrived well ahead of its assigned date. As often happens, it is heralded by cold and rainy weather. We've officially acknowledged this by installing extra layers of bedding and replacing summerwear with sweaters. We came close to firing up the woodstove on Monday. We've never used the woodstove before mid-October and we'd rather not break with that tradition if we can help it but, gosh, it was cold on Monday.

This is my favorite season: golden light slanting through the trees, leaves beginning to drift down, colors changing. The earth smells different. The gentle, alarming spiders craft their webs right where we'll walk through them. The sparrows and finches are more vocal as they visit the feeder. September is a mixed month, joyful with birthdays and a wedding anniversary, quiet with remembrance for a parent who had a difficult passing.

Autumn is my personal State Of The Union time, a season to reflect, to study, to take an honest look at my life since the previous September. That sounds pretty serious! It isn't all that deep, most of the time, but I've felt restless lately, aware of patterns that I've allowed myself to settle into, and so the deeper reflection begins. What needs to change? I do.

Looks like a challenging interlude ahead.

Overheard on Twitter: I should really start a photo blog called "Non-Recyclable Things Found In My Building's Recycle Bin."

Speaking of Twitter, are you curious what people are saying about practically any topic you can name? Topsy is a good place to start. It's a search engine for tweets.

Next time: annual seasonal ponderings, continued. Stay tuned if you dare.

1 comment:

Thaydra said...

Autumn is my favorite season as well. I, too, have been feeling myself slipping into that quiet contemplation lately. It seems that the winds of change are making their appearance!