Sunday, July 10, 2011

101 in 1001

If you've surfed around the Web for awhile, you may have noticed a trend in BlogLand: challenges. They come in many forms and are intended to help participants step up and do something. For example, there's a challenge that requires posting a photo every week, joined by folk who want to improve their photo skills. Another helps people declutter their homes. The best thing about these challenges is the informality. You can "join" one at any time. There's no formal membership or set of rules, just some structure and an invitation to jump in. And, really, "challenges" may not be the best word for it. They are invitations, kindling inspiration and action.

One that recently caught my eye is called "101 in 1001", via Day Zero Project. In this project, people create a list of 101 things they want to do in 1001 days. I've read a few lists over the last week; some are posted on blogs that were created specifically for tracking the goals. The lists reflect the variety of humankind - some are organized by subject (Personal, Professional, Art, Health) while other lists have no organization at all. One list is filled with whimsey, contrasting with several that are deeply serious. I'm pondering my own list. "Update my blog once a week" will probably be on it.

Overheard on Twitter: I'm collecting pretentious/cheesy source-plus-noun descriptions - creamery butter, garden vegetables, smokehouse barbeque. Others?

Stay tuned.

3 comments:

Alicia said...

I have a 101 in 1001 days- I love it!

dulcigal said...

That's great, Alicia. I'd love to see it. Did it take awhile to compile your list or was it pretty easy? Mine is taking longer than I thought it would!

dulcigal said...

Aha! I just found your blog. . .